Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Who am I ?


Tension aaga vendam! I am not going to run a philosophical grinder here. Nor am I attempting to establish an identity for myself.
In the last few years, I have been very interested in tracing my lineage and knowing more about my ancestors, especially on what they were around 4200 kali. First time when I came across my family name was in my upanayana pathrikai, where my thatha's name was written as Konerirajapuram Asuri Srinivasa Iyengar. When I asked him what the "Asuri" tag was all about, he told me that it was just a family title that we carry for quite a number of generations now, and unfortunately he did not know any further details.

Next reference to that name was on the subasweekaram day after his demise, when the Vathiyar who was giving the mangalabashanam on the day mentioned about the greatness of Asuri family and someone up in the lineage was a celebrated acharyan; I did not pay good attention to the details, and nor did my parents or anyone in their generation. One of my classmates was a Nallan Chakravarthy and from what he had to tell about the significance of his name, I assumed that Asuri could be one such continuity of a title.

Three years later, in the US as a grad student; having a lot of vetti time during semester breaks to research about wierd stuff, one day I ended up searching for Asuri. Surprisingly I found a research page belonging to an European researcher on Indian Philosophy, and it was mentioned that Asuri was the primary disciple of Kapila (Kapila was the son of Vrishabadevar and regarded as the father of Sakhya Yoga, which formed the basis of Jainism at a much later time). Brahma passed the Yoga sastra to Kapila, who in turn to Asuri. Also, so typical of western rhetoric, the name Asuri was synonymned with 'demonic' as it is one of the ways the name could be constructed as. But according to Vishnu puranam Kapila was an Avesha avatar of Sriman Naryanan, and samkya was only ment to be a science of reasoning, which later was took to extreme limits and ended up defying existance of Brahmam (Hawking's theory of "God is not necessary" was perhaps original but definitely not new! :P).

Adding to this information was a bigger surprise that Emperumanar in his poorvashramam belonged to Asuri Vamsam. His father was Asuri Kesava Somayaji, and he was Asuri Ramanuja till his grihastashramam days. Interestingly fate so had the first Asuri to preach samkhya which was tailored to become an atheistic philosophy and later had one of his descendants break it apart. From that point, I tired tracing his parental cousins, for I could possibly be their descendant. It was then I got to know that one of my school seniors' was also an Asuri and had done some research on that accidentally while trying to read about architecture.

Her hand on this threw a wider door open on the distribution of Asuris to many parts of the world, where in a small section of nature worshippers migrated to Persia and a large population came to South and got settled in Thodai and Chozha kingdoms and established Ghatikas. Inscriptions are available about two schools, one in Kanchi and another in Vizhuppuram were run by Asuris. Kanchi Ghatika is the one which is popular as The authority to approve any vedic scholar in the world. With the philosophical revolutions between 3500-4500 Kali, people got divided and realigned into different groups, which might account for the fact that she was Ashtasahasram Smartha, and the only Smartha family associated with the Asuri tag known to her in her search. Nevertheless, our attempt to collect some common information of Asuris available on orkut was that all of us belonged to Harita Gotram.

On my part, I tried asking a few elders in my family, and got very little input. Also Swami U.Ve. Velukkudi Krishnan said that there are a few asuriars in Sriperumbudur and Srirangam who can throw some light on the matter. Also I got to know that 4 generations back, our dhayadhis were associated in Mutts; one of them was a nominee to pattam at Sri Ahobila Mutt and another became a Srikaryam at Periyashramam. Perhaps the old records of the Holy Peetams could give some lead to this search.

Offlate, I came across the list of 74Simhasanadhipadhis from Sri U.Ve. Puttur Krishnaswamy Iyengar's Acharya Vaibava Manjari, whci mentions that the 42nd Mudhali was called Aasoori Perumal. And also, I happend to see an old book "Sriman Nigamanta Desikan Vijayam" in Adisesh Iyengar's mediafire folder.

"Yaaro oru mahanubavar ennoda signature'a potturukaarupa!" :)

17 comments:

Anjana R said...

am into mythology myself. pretty interesting story. you might find the story of Vatapi and Sage Agasthya also interesting in case you have'nt heard. :)

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

@ Anjana - Thanks. But I call it 'history'. And about vatapi, I only know the "Vatapi got digested" episode. Does that have more to it?

harsh said...

well Im harshith Asuri, I ws jus looking fr ppl of ths lineage found ur post.

Its pretty interesting but there are many questions like in m family background I hv never hrd nybdy using ayengar tag, we belong to a srivaishnava cast but iyengars are brahmins isnt it ?

I woudl be glad to know mre can u contact me on mail ? harshith[dot]asuri[at]live[dot]com

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

@ Harshith - Good to see someone with similar interest. We have a community in orkut for Asuris who are trying to find something in common.
Anyone who undergoes Pancha-Samskara ritual is called an Iyengar, and one need not be a brahmin. And Iyengar & SriVaishnava are essentially the same thing, but only in popular parlance, SriVaishnava Brahmins use the tag Iyengar, and it has nothing to do with caste.

harsh said...

plz gimme its link

harsh said...

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=58104542

can u plz join d comm we wud b glad to hav u thr !

Narayanan said...

Hi Asuri Sudarsanan,

I hail from Konerirajapuram. My parents live there. Interestingly, I happended to notice Konerirajapuram in your post.

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

@ Narayanan - There are two villages by the same name. One is at Tiruvidaimaruthur and other in Tiruvayyaru taluk.

I hail from the one in Tiruvayyaru taluk, about 6 kms from TirukaattupaLLi. Are you talking about the same village ?

Narayanan said...

Hi Sudarsanan,

I am from the village in Tiruvidaimaruthur taluk. I have stayed in Kumbakonam/Konerirajapuram during my school days but did not know there existed another village with the same name.

Lakshminarasimhan Sridhar said...

Hu Sudharshan
I am also from Asuri Family

We originally belong to Kalyanapuram near Thiruvayaru, and latter my Grandfather Late G.Sheshachari Settled in a vilage known as Innambur.

I have Wellwisher Sri Asuri Narasimhan from Melkote. He has done lot of reaearch and he has rpoof of ramnaujas Two sons one was Asuri Perumal. There are proof of it in Ancient Palm leaves and it can be traced in Madras Oriental Library

Then every year during Udayavars Thriunakshtram The tribals attend the celebration and sing in Hale Kannada ( Old Kannada ) about Udayavar, His Pathini and also his twin sons, There is also ample proof that Udayavar's Pathni Met him and Saligrama and asked Shamapana and she had Echa Maranam. ( According to some it is sadi Udayavars life span was suppose to end at Saligrama buthis Pathini met him and transpfered her life span and died, I am gathering all detials and i am sure we can prove world we are from Udayavars Sambhadam

Sri Rangapriya Smaranam
Asuri Lakshminarasimhan Sridhar
shrihi@gmail.com

Sridhar said...

Very interesting. I belong to the Ashtasahasram sect and am currently putting together an Ashtasahasram Wordlwide site.

We are also keen to trace our lineage etc. Your friends research could be very useful.

Can she please write to me at 8000trust@gmail.com

Thank you

Sridhar

Unknown said...

Namaskaram,
I am Badrinathan. We are also Aasuri family. I am trying to find out if Aasuri is just a name or is a place. My father told me about a place called Sirukunnan near Thindivanam in Tamil Nadu. He moved to Chennai for Tamil Teacher work and eventually settled down in Tiruvallur (one of the 109 Divya Desams. There is a temple of Sri Kanagavalli sametha Vaithiya Veeraraghava perumal) near Chennai.
I am also curious to know more about Aasuri's.
If any one can point to the right direction, it will be of great help.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Adiyen Asuri Ananthanarayanan.
Thank u very much for the detailed history provided. I am very much lucky to know about our history as I hv slowly started indulging into our sampradhayam

T.A.Kesavan said...

Adiyen Asuri Kesavan.We were told that our ancestors migrated from a village Called AGARAM ,near ,thenneri,wallajabad,kanchipuram district To chennai.The temple of srinivasaperumal where Kanchipuram Varadaraja perumal visits once in a year.This temple was recently renovated and the origional temple is lying below in collapsed and buried below the existing temple.But some sculptures of old temple are retrieved and kept in the same temple premises.A sect from Mandayam iyengars from karnataka describe asuri as the name of small village near Sriperumbudur.Now since ORKUT is not existing adiyen appeal each Asuri member to join this group to continue to find our lineage.

Unknown said...

I had seen a book, ஆசூரி சமுதாயம் , tracing our anscestral lineage for over a thousand generations ( including women), published from Bangalore Yathiraja Mutt. Please enquire at the Mutt. One of the JEEYAR SWAMY was from the ASURI family in 1990s.

Unknown said...

I had seen a book, ஆசூரி சமுதாயம் , tracing our anscestral lineage for over a thousand generations ( including women), published from Bangalore Yathiraja Mutt. Please enquire at the Mutt. One of the JEEYAR SWAMY was from the ASURI family in 1990s.